King Ranch Chicken
Drake Family Style
Freezes well so make it all and stash some for later.
1. One medium size whole frying chicken.
2. Low sodium Chicken broth (enough to cover the chicken in a large cook pot ~ 8 cups)
3. Chicken seasonings -parsley, sage, basil etc - or an Italian style herb mix
4. 16 Oz Cheddar Block or 6 cups shredded
5. 16 Oz Monterray Jack block or 6 cups shredded
6. and 8 Oz block Monterrey Jack
7. 8 Oz Sour Cream
8. 1/2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
9. 1/2 bag of frozen sweet corn (not on cob)
10. 1 onion - diced
11. 1 cup diced mushrooms
12. 1 jar of green salsa (medium spice lends a mild dish due to other ingredients)
13. 1 large or two small cans of diced tomatoes -or- 3 large fresh tomatoes diced
14. 1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
15. 2 -3 cups Corn Chip pieces
Particular Cooking Utensils
· Large Cooking pot
· 2 Large casserole dishes
· Large cooking spoon
· Clean and rinse the chicken
- Shred the 16 Oz Blocks of cheese
· Thin Slice the 8 Oz of Monterrey jack
· Dice onions & mushrooms
· Dice tomatoes (if fresh)
· Cover the bottom of two casserole dishes with a small layer of corn chip pieces
· Sprinkle shredded Monterrey jack and 1/2 of the cheddar in a layer on the corn chip pieces
· Boil chicken until done. Season with parsley, sage, basil etc.
o Typical whole thawed frier takes 45 min to 1 hour depending on size.
· Remove the chicken from the broth to cool
o Save chicken broth for other recipes
o Keep the pot ready to use
o You can cook the chicken well in advance of other steps to allow time to cool the chicken.
· De-bone Chicken
· Sauté in a large pot the diced onions and mushrooms with a bit of oil or butter.
· Preheat oven to 350
· Once onions are soft: add the frozen vegetables and tomatoes; cook uncovered on high until bubbling (~5 min) - do not add any liquid
· Add Chicken pieces, green salsa, cream of mushroom soup and heat until warm - not fully cooked
· Remove from heat and add sour cream
· Spoon chicken veggie mixture over the chip & cheese layers in the bottom of the casserole dishes
· Sprinkle top with rest of the shredded cheddar
· Lay the thinly sliced Monterrey jack over the top of everything and cover the entire dish
· Bake 15 minutes uncovered at 350
Troubleshooting/ Tips & Tricks
When in doubt – add more cheese – I’ve used upwards to 1.5 the amounts cited above
Lightly grease the pans if you want the casserole to come up quickly and clean up easily.
You can use/add/substitute frozen chicken breasts if you have a small chicken or just a bag of frozen chicken to work with. It doesn’t even have to be boiled – just cooked and cut into bite sized pieces. Grilled chicken might be a very good option
Stale chips work well for this recipe – I like to use that crushed pile of chips at the bottom of an old bag that no-one is willing to eat.
Smash larger chip pieces into smaller to ensure good coverage of bottom of baking dish
If your dish is soupy:
· Try adding the salsa to the onion & mushroom sauté and cooking off some of the liquid
· Drain the can of tomatoes a bit before adding
To Spice it up:
· Use a hot salsa
· Add red pepper flakes to the sauté