Buy Prints

I'm now accepting all forms of payments for prints.
Check out the online Store!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fun with Rattles

I've been experimenting with putting rattles and toys in Mira's hands to see how she'll respond. At first, she didn't even seem to realize that she was holding anything. And she'd bonk herself in the face with it repeatedly which I would find hysterical. I'd start laughing which would make her smile. So whether she really enjoyed the rattle experience or just the Mommie laughing part was unclear. But now we've repeated the excercise on several occasions and she seems to be catching on. If I show her the object before I put it into her hand, then she'll track it as I slowly move it toward her and wrap her fingers around it. She'll even look at the object for a bit while holding it, but then it seems like she'll fling her hand around too fast and since her eyes can't track that fast yet, she'll lose sight of it and then it's back to acting oblivious to the whole thing. Anyway, it's something to do in the middle of the day...

Oh and I've been experimenting with her left vs right hand. It seems like she'll hold on to something longer if I put it in her right hand, so maybe she'll end up being right-handed. Is it possible to determine handedness before the baby recognizes that she even has hands???

4 comments:

Marcy said...

One baby book I read claimed that a preference for one hand over another can be spotted as early as in the womb, and that it stays consistent up through adulthood.

Then another one claimed that All kids go back and forth on whether they prefer their right or left hand, and you can't reliably tell till they're 3-4 yrs old.

Moral of the story: as with most things parenting related, who the heck knows! ; )

Criss L. Cox said...

Are either you or Brian left-handed? Or are (biological) grandparents? It can become a nasty rivalry between lefties and righties, to see which hand the baby favors...

Unknown said...

Criss- Phil (Mira's paternal grandfather) and Lindsey (Mira's aunt) are both lefties...

So far, I'm trying not to show any bias about which hand and trying to let her figure out which she genuinely prefers.

Lindsey said...

Me Me, I'm a leftie!